Harbor Days

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Every Labor Day weekend Olympia holds "Harbor Days", a three day maritime celebration. The coolest tugboats are cleaned up and brought out on display, vendors set up tents selling their crafts, people stand in mile long lines to get an elephant ear smothered in the topping of their choice and it's just a good time for all. The sky was pretty dark when we showed up this afternoon. It sprinkled a little here and a little there, but waited to really rain on us until we all had our food in our hands and were standing out in the open eating. We quickly found shelter under the awning of one of the vendors where we stayed pretty dry. A half hour later the clouds moved on and the sun came back out. We made our way along the crowded docks checking out the goodies for sale. It looked to us like the turnout was good today. For more info on Harbor Days click here.

11 comments

  1. Lynette Says:

    What a fine photo! I'll bet everyone had a great time and will do so the rest of the celebration. Glad the rain didn't ruin your lunch. I was out in it myself some today, first to Freddy's for groceries, then volunteering at the Oregon Cultural Trust's table at Art in the Pearl, an annual event in the North Park Blocks. I have to admit that with the rain and not knowing the logistics of the situation, I left my camera at home. Boy, did I miss some neat photos. I might just have to go back tomorrow and find somewhere to lean up and take photos of some of the art and the folks and their dogs.

    Glad you like the amazing dahlias.

  2. Linnea Says:

    Looks like fun and you got a great shot here. Wonderful lighting with the dramatic skies in the background. Glad the rain didn't hang around too long!

  3. I was reading about the Tugboats in Olympia in the paper yesterday and thought what a fun thing to go to. Of course I forgot about it today and you just jogged my mermory. What a great shot. I am glad you had a good time and the sun did finally come out. MB

  4. A perfect place for a photographer.

  5. brian stout Says:

    I love this shot! So many things to look at =)

  6. Lowell Says:

    How much fun is that! Water, boats, food! Can't get any better...

    Love the shot. You really caught the spirit of the event -- lots of people, watercraft; the colors are terrific and the clouds in that glorious sky give it the finishing touch!

    Re: Crutches. My personal opinion is that if Benny Hinn (Hind?) was involved, the poor soul would need more crutches, not less!

  7. SpinTheGlobe Says:

    Great colors and a wonderful sense of the activity level there. I was there later in the evening when it was dry, fortunately!

    Scott
    earballvisions

  8. Lois Says:

    Sounds like a fun day! I wish I had one of those elephant ears!

  9. tapirgal Says:

    It looks delightful. I think we beat you for doses of rain today. I've never heard of your carnival. Maybe next year. Loved the description of the way the rain was timed!

  10. Hilda Says:

    Fascinating mishmash of boats! Love it! Sounds like great fun too!

    What is an elephant ear?? Does not sound very appetizing!

  11. Thank you all for stopping by and of course your always kind comments. I think I'll post another shot from there tomorrow.

    Hilda: Picture thin dough shaped like a large tortilla, baked to golden brown so it's warm and soft, then topped with things like cinnamon-sugar, honey, creme cheese, raspberry jam, etc. You can get fat just watching other people eating them.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin